New Orleans to Natchez: “Big Easy to Little Easy”
Follow the Golden Record Road and explore the Americana Music Triangle; the world’s top music tourism destination where nine distinct music genres came to life: Blues, Country, Rock ‘n’ Roll, R&B/Soul, Jazz, Gospel, Southern Gospel, Cajun/Zydeco and Bluegrass. Below is suggested itinerary for the ultimate road trip for the true music lover, including top picks for tours, music halls, and lodging along the way.
Start Here: New Orleans – “The Big Easy”
New Orleans is truly alive with the sound of music! Spend your days soaking in the history of early Jazz and Blues Pioneers and spend your evenings catching incredible music performances. We would recommend booking midweek at our New Orleans bed and breakfast so you can enjoy the music venues and attractions with fewer crowds.
Here are our top picks for exploring the music culture of New Orleans:
Tours & Attractions
- Visit the New Orleans Jazz National Historic Park in the French Quarter for daily demonstrations, performances and lectures.
- Take a self-guided walking tour of Jazz History Sites in the French Quarter with audio by phone, which includes the Rock ‘n’ Roll Hall of Fame landmark J&M Studios. Read more…
- Download the free mobile app for a guided walking/driving tour of where Jazz greats lived including Louis Armstrong, Jelly Roll Morton, Sidney Bechet, and the Boswell Sisters. Read more…
Top Music Venues
- Traditional Dixieland Jazz: Preservation Hall, Palm Court Cafe
- Zydeco: Rock N Bowl, Tipitina’s
- R&B, Blues: Rock N Bowl, Tipitina’s, and Maple Leaf
- Jazz: The Columns, Irvin Mayfield’s Jazz Playhouse, Sweet Lorraine’s, and Snug Harbor
Lafayette – “Cajun Country”
After you have eaten and danced your way through New Orleans, enjoy a change of pace with a scenic drive through Cajun Country to the bayou towns surrounding Lafayette.
- Maison D’Memoire Bed & Breakfast Cottages – Charming Louisiana bed and breakfast featuring private cottages and breakfast delivered to your door. Located just outside of Lafayette.
- The heart of Cajun and Creole culture, and is home to some legendary musical festivals including Festival International de Louisiane and Festivals Acadiens et Créoles. Read more about top musical attractions near Lafayette.
Natchez – “The Little Easy”
Your journey ends at the birthplace of the Mississippi, the historic city on Natchez. Once home to the most millionaires per capita in the United States, Natchez is known for their famous Pilgrimage tours of these beautiful historic homes.
- Devereaux Shields House – This historic Natchez bed and breakfast offers the perfect downtown location with beautiful rooms and a breakfast to write home about!
- Natchez’s music history runs as long and deep as Ol’ Man River itself. Today the city boasts a number of live music venues, festivals and attractions including Mississippi Blues Trail Markers, the Delta Music Museum, the Rhythm Night Club Memorial Museum. Read more about top musical Natchez attractions.
Learn more about the American Music Triangle, including the history, driving trails, and upcoming music events.